Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nikon 50mm With Lens Hoodie, Sleeve, and Pouch

I am very anal about lens protection for my Nikon and I think I have finally found what I feel is the best combination of protection for my lenses that get put in my camera bag.
I have been using the LensCoat Hoodie Lens Caps on my lenses, and I just got some Op/Tech USA Lens Sleeves to match.

For the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G I purchased a LensCoat Hoodie (Small) and a Op/Tech Lens Sleeve (3").

Op/Tech makes a "Hood Hat" but I prefer the LensCoat variety since they include a hard plastic/foam insert to protect the front element. The same insert is found in the bottom of their pouches as well.  The "leather" tab also appears to be thicker and stronger than the ones on the Op/Tech variety.

When the pair is used in combination, it provides excellent protection for the lens. I typically use keep this lens with the hood on at all times, and I believe that if your are a "hoodless" shooter, it will work as well, but the LensCoat Hoodie XS may be required for the perfect fit.
The padding seems more than adequate and the neoprene will provide excellent moisture restistance due to the rubber inside.  I have no problems putting this lens now in a non-photo backpack if I need to take it on the go.

I also purchased a LensCoat LensPouch (Small Wide) to keep this lens in for storage, although when I shoot, I can leave this at home.  This is ideal since the hard foam/plastic inserts makes the lens "float" in the middle of the pouch with protection on the top and bottom.

The whole combo can be ordered from Adorama at the links below:
$7.95 OpTech Lens Sleeve (3")
$12.99 LensCoat Hoodie (Small)
$16.99 LensCoat LensPouch (Small Wide)

Full pictures are in the slideshow which are linked by clicking on either picture.  I will post pictures for the Nikon 14-24mm and the 24-70mm later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment