Friday, December 04, 2009

B+W and Nikon Clear Filters

Posted by Picasa Photo Gallery

Today I received my B+W XS-PRO 77mm Clear Filter and I thought I would do a little comparison between the B+W and my current Nikon NC Filters.

Packaging - Both filters come in a plastic case, but the B+W case is larger and has foam inserts . . . and it also takes more time to take out.  I have cases for all my filters, and all of them are empty (because they are on my lenses), except the one for my B+W Circular Polarizer.

Build - Well I got to weigh both filters, and keep in mind the Nikon is made from Aluminum and the B+W is Brass, so I knew this would be B+W all the way.  For gram counters, the Nikon is 31g and the B+W is 38g.  Even the Nikon feels a little cheaper when you are cleaning it.  I had a Nikon that had the glass come a bit loose and spin around.

Thinness - B+W @ 3mm wins this one.  I believe the Nikon is 4mm thick.  When it comes to filters, thin is in, unless you prefer vignetting.

Multicoating - I am going to go with B+W on this one with an 8 layer coating on each side and a water/dust repellant.  Nikon doesn't even publish any technical information on their filters, but I think they are made by Hoya anyway.

Cost - Nikon is a little cheaper at $90 (the B+W is $130), but if you are trying to go cheap, why spend the money for Nikon when you can go with a Tiffen or cheap Hoya for under $20 (costs are assuming 77mm filter size).





The Verdict - I decided that I would keep the B+W filter and order more filters for the rest of my lenses.  I have been happy with the Nikon NC Filters, and no complaints, but the B+W filters were clearly better.


No comments:

Post a Comment