Friday, December 04, 2009

B+W XS-PRO Clear Filters

Back when I didn't know any better about lens care, and how important filters are I either didn't buy one for my lens, or I bought the cheapest ones I could find, which were probably Tiffen ($10).
Fast forward to today, where I use Nikon NC (Neutral Clear) filters on all my lenses.  Sure they cost several times what a Tiffen filter costs but they have served me well.  I figure if I am going to spend $1500 on a camera lens, I want something to protect it.

So why protect a lens?  Well my reasons for throwing on a filter is to protect the lens.  Protection from scratches, from dust, particles, and water getting in the internal glass elements, and so that when I clean my lens, I don't wipe that nice multi-coat from the front element.

Well I decided to replace all my Nikon NC filters in favor of the new B+W XS-PRO (007) Clear Filters.
Since I started buying pro glass, I have always put filters on the lenses as soon as I open them . . . except for my Nikon 14-24mm lens that don't have a way to screw them in.  Today I have a new lens coming in, a Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro, but the filter I ordered from Adorama won't make it to me until Monday, so I guess I have to leave the lens in the box for the weekend :(

So back to the B+W filters.  I have always loved the build quality of B+W filters . . . I have owned two UV filters and currently have a Circular Polarizer, but I never felt the need to throw a UV filter on a digital camera.  Digital Cameras have a UV blocker in front of the sensor, so it is unnecessary, and it leaves a tint on the pictures . . . well they finally listened and made a Clear Multi-Coated with a brass ring.  Now I don't have them yet, looks like next week sometime (wish I decided to change brands before ordering a new Nikon 62mm NC for my Micro Lens).  I will do a comparison of both the B+W and Nikon filters when they come in.  So here is what I needed to get and the links if you want to try one out.


Nikon 50mm f/1.4G - 58mm Filter
Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro - 62mm Filter
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR - 67mm Filter
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G - No Filter
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G - 77mm Filter
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR - 77mm Filter

No comments:

Post a Comment